Rietveld Refinement & Indexing Workshop
ICDD Rietveld Refinement & Indexing Workshop
Basic Rietveld Refinement & Indexing Workshop - 26-28 September 2016 - Register
Advanced Rietveld Refinement & Indexing Workshop – 28 - 30 September 2016 - Register
Basic & Advanced Rietveld Refinement & Indexing Workshop - 26 - 30 September 2016 - Register
Powder pattern Indexing and Rietveld structural refinement techniques are complementary and are often used to completely describe the structure of a material. Successful indexing of a powder pattern is considered strong evidence for phase purity. Indexing (with derived space group and lattice symmetry determinations) is considered a prelude to determining the crystal structure, and permits phase identification by lattice matching techniques. The Rietveld method is used to refine crystal structures and is perhaps best considered whole- pattern-fitting structure refinement, i.e., we must account not only for the crystal structure but also the instrumental resolution and diffraction physics effects (e.g., crystallite size and strain). The aim is to perform quantitative phase analysis and identification.
This workshop introduces the theory and formalisms of various indexing methods and structural refinement techniques. One unique aspect of this workshop is the extensive use of computer laboratory problem solving and exercises that teach method development in a hands-on environment. We will use EXPGUI and GSAS for the Rietveld laboratory work; Crysfire (especially Dicvol, Ito and Treor) will be used for indexing exercises.
Take the three-day basic workshop, the three-day advanced workshop or both together for a full week of hands-on training. Please refer to the pre-requisites below if interested in attending just the Advanced Rietveld workshop:
- You have previously attended the ICDD Basic Rietveld workshop.
- You use Rietveld refinement on a daily basis.
- You have a basic understanding of crystallography.
- You have contact an ICDD Rietveld faculty member: John Faber, Jim Kaduk, or Tom Blanton
The format of the workshop is a combination of morning lectures and afternoon computer lab exercises. Ample opportunity for individual student-faculty interaction exists throughout the week.
- Emphasis on space groups, conventions, etc.
Powder Pattern Indexing
- Data reduction methods for peak finding
- We will use Dicvol 04, Treor and Ito indexing examples
- Crysfire will also be discussed
Rietveld Structural Refinement
- History and motivation for development of this technique
- Qualitative description of various sample and instrument-related functions for profile shape, background, etc.
- The use of least-squares constraints will be explored
LeBail and Pawley Fitting Procedures
- What to do when atomic coordinates are not available
- Discussion on use of these tools for structure determination
- Use in powder pattern indexing
Computer Laboratory Components
Exercise problems will include:
- Single phase indexing
- Single phase refinement (all crystalline materials)
- Multiphase refinement (all crystalline materials)
- Nanophase, and small crystallite size content
- Amorphous phase + crystalline phase(s)
The faculty is selected from academic, industrial and government institutions under the direction of ICDD Management.
Sessions are held Monday and Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Tuesday and Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Basic Rietveld Refinement & Indexing Workshop - $1,200 (three-day) - Register
Advanced Rietveld Refinement & Indexing Workshop - $1,200 (three-day) - Register
Basic & Advanced Rietveld Refinement & Indexing Workshop - $1,950 (five-day) – Register
Registration fees for training courses include all lecture and workshop materials and catered lunches. Registrations will be accepted until two weeks before the start of the course. After that, please call for availability. Payment must be received prior to the course to attend.
Tuition Waiver Opportunities
Tuition Waiver requests must be received no later than six weeks prior to the start of the course.
Transfer, Cancellation and Refund Policy:
ICDD must guarantee payment for meals and materials in advance. You will receive a 50% refund of the paid registration fee if your written cancellation is received at ICDD 20 business days prior to the start of the class. With less notice, a colleague may take your place, or the course materials will be mailed to you, but no refund will be given.
Please note: A minimum of 10 registrants per course is required, otherwise the course will be cancelled and your registration fee will be refunded. You will be notified of a course cancellation no later than two weeks prior to the start of the course.
12 Campus Boulevard
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, 19073-3273 U.S.A.
If you have any questions, please contact Eileen Jennings, Education Coordinator