ICDD X-ray Fluorescence Clinic
Practical X-ray Fluorescence - 25 – 29 April 2016
Due to insufficient registrations, it has become necessary to cancel the ICDD XRF Clinic, scheduled for April 25-29, at ICDD Headquarters
During the past five decades, the use of X-ray analytical methods has increased in the areas of materials characterization and phase identification. The wide range of applicability of the X-ray fluorescence method has made it a technique employed in thousands of laboratories all over the world. Over the years, many techniques and procedures have been developed that greatly enhance the versatility of the method. The purpose of the X-ray clinic is to combine theoretical and practical application of X-ray fluorescence spectrometry.
The clinic is presented in a week-long session and is directed to both relative newcomers in the field and to more experienced users wishing to broaden their understanding of fundamental concepts and established procedures. The major emphases are the acquisition of reliable experimental data and qualitative phase identification using manual search techniques, and computer-based methods of qualitative and quantitative phase analysis.
The format of the clinic is a combination of morning lectures and afternoon recitations and workshops. Ample opportunity for individual student-faculty interaction exists throughout the week, including small recitation and workshop groups and a session where students can discuss their applications and problems with the entire faculty.
Practical X-ray Fluorescence - $1,950 USD - Registration is closed
- Fundamentals of X-ray Physics
- WDX and EDX X-ray spectrometry instrumentation
- Qualitative and semi-quantitative analysis
- Introduction to quantitative analysis
- Types and sources of error
- Precision and accuracy
- Calibration strategy
- Drift, line and interelement correction application
- Fundamental parameters
- Maintaining instrument integrity
- Specimen preparation
- XRF instrumentation, components, scope, and comparison using live and disabled WDX and EDX instrumentation.
- Selection of parameters for operation
- Demonstration of personal computer exercises in qualitative and semi-quantitative WDX and EDX analysis
- Demonstration of personal computer exercises employing polynomial regression, line overlap, empirical and fundamental parameter corrections during calibration
- Specimen preparation lecture and demonstration of the use of mixers, grinders, presses, fusion apparatus, etcetera
- Discussion of problems encountered by participants
The clinic faculty is selected from academic, industrial and government institutions under the direction of ICDD Management.
Read Faculty Bios.
Sessions are held Monday and Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:45 p.m., and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to Noon
Practical X-ray Fluorescence - $1,950 USD - Register
Registration fees for training courses include lecture, workshop and lab materials as well as catered lunches on all full days. Registrations will be accepted up until two weeks before the start of the course. After that, please call for availability. Payment must be received prior to the course to attend.
Tuition Waiver Opportunities
Tuition Waiver requests must be received no later than six weeks prior to the start of the course.
Transfer, Cancellation and Refund Policy
ICDD must guarantee payment for meals and materials in advance. You will receive a 50% refund of the paid registration fee if your written cancellation is received at ICDD 20 business days prior to the start of the class. With less notice, a colleague may take your place, or the course materials will be mailed to you, but no refund will be given.
Please note: A minimum of 10 registrants per course is required, otherwise the course will be cancelled and your registration fee will be refunded. You will be notified of a course cancellation no later than two weeks prior to the start of the course.