ICDD X-ray Fluorescence Clinic
History of the Clinic
The ICDD X-ray Clinics are a continuation of the SUNY Clinics which were held at the State University of New York at Albany for 25 years. In 1990, the International Centre for Diffraction Data (ICDD) assumed responsibilities for these clinics. ICDD is a nonprofit, scientific organization which publishes the Powder Diffraction File™ and the journal, Powder Diffraction. ICDD is committed to promoting the applications of materials characterization methods in science and technology by providing educational programs such as the ICDD Clinics.
During the past five decades, the use of X-ray analytical methods has increased in the areas of materials characterization and phase identification. The wide range of applicability of the X-ray fluorescence method has made it a technique employed in thousands of laboratories all over the world. Over the years, many techniques and procedures have been developed that greatly enhance the versatility of the method. The purpose of the X-ray clinic is to combine theoretical and practical application of X-ray fluorescence spectrometry.
The clinic is presented in a week-long session and is directed to both relative newcomers in the field and to more experienced users wishing to broaden their understanding of fundamental concepts and established procedures. The major emphases are the acquisition of reliable experimental data and qualitative phase identification using manual search techniques, and computer-based methods of qualitative and quantitative phase analysis.
The format of the clinic is a combination of morning lectures and afternoon recitations and workshops. Ample opportunity for individual student-faculty interaction exists throughout the week, including small recitation and workshop groups and a session where students can discuss their applications and problems with the entire faculty.
ONLY at the ICDD Clinics!
Submit YOUR SAMPLES for analysis by the experts. Selected results will be the basis for class discussion. Results not presented during class can be discussed in private with the faculty throughout the clinic. Please mark the box on the clinic registration form for more information on how to participate in this sample measurement exercise.
- Fundamentals of X-ray Physics
- WDX and EDX X-ray spectrometry instrumentation
- Qualitative and semi-quantitative analysis
- Introduction to quantitative analysis
- Types and sources of error
- Precision and accuracy
- Calibration strategy
- Drift, line and interelement correction application
- Fundamental parameters
- Maintaining instrument integrity
- Specimen preparation
- Submit YOUR SAMPLES for analysis by the experts. Selected results will be the basis for class discussion. Results not presented during class can be discussed in private with the faculty throughout the clinic.
- XRF instrumentation, components, scope, and comparison using live and disabled WDX and EDX instrumentation.
- Selection of parameters for operation
- Demonstration of personal computer exercises in qualitative and semi-quantitative WDX and EDX analysis
- Demonstration of personal computer exercises employing polynomial regression, line overlap, empirical and fundamental parameter corrections during calibration
- Specimen preparation lecture and demonstration of the use of mixers, grinders, presses, fusion apparatus, etcetera
- Discussion of problems encountered by participants
The clinic faculty is selected from academic, industrial and government institutions under the direction of ICDD Management.
Read Faculty Bios.
Sessions are held Monday and Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.,
Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:45 p.m., and
Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Fee and Registration
Registration fees for training courses include classroom and lab materials and catered lunches. Registrations will be accepted until 2 weeks before the start of the course. After that, please call for availability. Payment must be received prior to the course to attend.
Register Online or
fax the registration form to +610-325-9823!
Practical X-ray Fluorescence - $1,830 USD
Tuition Waiver Opportunities
Registrations must be received no later than six weeks prior to the start of the course.
ICDD must guarantee payment for meals and materials in advance.You will receive a 50% refund of the paid registration fee if your written cancellation is received at ICDD twenty business days prior to the start of class.With less notice, a colleague may take your place, or the course materials will be mailed to you.
12 Campus Boulevard
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, 19073-3273 U.S.A.