ICDD Technical Committee Minutes
APPROVED MINUTES - PDF
Electron Diffraction Subcommittee
March 20, 2003
Chairman - Alwyn Eades
Minutes of the meeting of the Electron Diffraction Subcommittee held at Newtown Square on March 20, 2003.
Summary of the most important points:
The PDF is well on the way to meeting our needs.
A motion with regard to structures of variable composition was presented (item 4).
We will try to establish a list of current software for electron diffraction.
- The 11 people attending the meeting were welcomed. This is double the number attending last year.
- The minutes of the meeting on March 21, 2002 were approved. The record of the meeting held at the Microscopy and Microanalysis meeting, in Quebec City in August 2002, was also accepted.
- There was an extended discussion regarding changes in hand in the new PDF. Most of the things that the Electron Diffraction Subcommittee has requested over the last several years are now incorporated into the PDF or will be incorporated within about two years. This is very good news. We were particularly pleased to learn of the agreement with the Pauling File that will allow atomic coordinates to be included in the PDF.
- There was extended discussion of the way in which structures of variable composition are accessed. This lead to the resolution:
- It was agreed that the chair would elicit the help of other members of the Subcommittee to produce a list of electron diffraction software and its current status.
The Electron Diffraction Subcommittee recommends to the Technical Committee to set up a task force with the Metals and Alloys Subcommittee to develop improvements to the PDF that lead to successful searching for structures of variable composition. (M6C, M23C6 are examples.)