Impact of the Scholarship
& Professional Pursuits
I was very excited with the news that I was one of the recipients of the Ludo Frevel Crystallography Scholarship Award. At the time, I was in my last year of my Ph.D. studies at the University of Delaware (UD). Any acknowledgement is nice, but the list of previous accomplished recipients and the fact that Ludo Frevel Crystallography Scholarship is awarded worldwide, make it even better! The instant impact of this award was the increased motivation I felt, it seemed to me that our work on Zintl pnictides in Dr. Svilen Bobev's Group at UD was being recognized worldwide.
After my graduate studies at UD, I took a Postdoctoral Research Associate position at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORLN) in the Correlated Electron Materials Group led by Dr. Brian C. Sales. At ORNL, I worked on exploration of superconductors and permanent magnets. The crystallography knowledge I received during my Ph.D. work at UD, which was in part funded by the Ludo Frevel Award, was most helpful. In 2014, I joined Dr. David B. Mitzi’s Group at Duke University as a US Department of Energy (DOE) Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy (EERE) SunShot Postdoctoral Fellow. At Duke, I was mainly involved in two projects: development of stable lead-free halide perovskite photovoltaics, and development of earth-abundant chalcogenide photovoltaics. In the summer of 2016, I joined the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry at the University of Oklahoma (OU). As an Assistant Professor at OU my work has a central solid-state chemistry and X-ray crystallography core component.
X-ray crystallography has been essential for my past research work and will continue to be central to my career at OU. The ICDD Ludo Frevel Award was very helpful to support, motivate and encourage my career in this direction. I would like to thank the ICDD for having this award and also thank the donors for their support of this award.
Selected Awards and Honors:
- The 2014 US Department of Energy (DOE) Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy (EERE) SunShot Postdoctoral Research Award
- The 2011 Bill N. Baron Fellowship Award for Contribution to Renewable Energy Research and Development
- The 2010 ICDD Ludo Frevel Crystallography Scholarship
- The 2010 Brennie E. Hackley Jr. Award for Excellence in Research
- The 2010 Trofimenko Memorial Prize for Creative Inorganic Synthesis
- The 2007-2008 University of Delaware Elizabeth Dyer Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Outstanding University Graduate Fellow Award for the 2009-2010 Academic Year
- Bronze Medal in the 35th (2001) International Mendeleev School Chemistry Olympiad
- Gold Medal in the 2001 Turkmenistan National Chemistry Olympiad
- Gold Medal in the 2000 Turkmenistan National Chemistry Olympiad