Regional Co-Chair Reports 2010-2011
(from left: E. Antipov, V. Peterson, D. Rendle, J. Delgado, M. Leoni, T. Ida, S. Misture)
In the 2010-2011 calendar year, the ICDD was well represented by Regional Co-chairs, members and staff who attended various meetings, workshops, and conferences throughout the world. The ICDD is grateful for their time and effort in traveling on the ICDD’s behalf. At the March Meetings, the Regional Co-chairs each gave a report on activities in their area. Here are some highlights:
was not present for the meeting.
Eastern Pacific Rim
Dr. Takashi Ida’s report featured two conferences which took place in the Eastern Pacific Rim in the past year. First, the 10th Conference of the Asian Crystallographic Association (AsCA 2010) took place 31 October – 3 November 2010 in Busan, Korea. Approximately 90 oral and 330 poster presentations were given. The ICDD was represented by Dr. Yuming Si, ICDD.
The 3rd International Congress on Ceramics (ICC3) was held 14 – 18 November 2010, at the Osaka International Convention Center, Japan. There were 1,979 attendees and the ICDD sponsored a Best Poster Award at ICC3.
On 11 March 2011, Japan was struck by a M9.0 earthquake. In light of the recent devastation in Japan caused by the earthquake and tsunami, Dr. Ida included an update on Japan in the aftermath in his report. Dr. Ida was happy to report that, despite the devastation, a majority of the population is alive and experienced no severe trauma.
Dr. Matteo Leoni spoke of two major events which took place in Europe in 2010, both of which were sponsored by ICDD:
- 24 – 30 May 2010, the Diffraction at the Nanoscale Nanocrystals, Defective & Amorphous Materials workshop was held in Villigen, Switzerland.
- 27 – 30 August 2010, the biennial European Powder Diffraction Conference (EPDIC 12) was held in Darmstadt, Germany. ICDD held a PDF-4+ Workshop during EPDIC 12, which was organized by Dr. Timothy Fawcett and Dr. Cyrus Crowder, ICDD.
Dr. Leoni’s report also featured the following events which will be happening throughout Europe in 2011:
- 16 – 19 May 2011, the Pharmaceutical Powder X-ray Diffraction Symposium (PPXRD-10) will take place in Lyon, France.
- 2 – 12 June 2011, The Power of Powder Diffraction will be held in Erice, Italy. This year’s course will cover the topic, Electron Crystallography: New Methods to Explore Structure and Properties of the Nano World.
- 22 – 30 August 2011, the 22nd International Union of Crystallography (IUCr 2011) will be held in Madrid, Spain.
- 17 – 20 October 2011, Size-Strain VI will be in Presq’ile de Giens, Hyeres, France.
Indian Ocean Rim
Regional Co-chair of the Indian Ocean Rim, Dr. Vanessa Peterson, gave a full report on past and upcoming events.
- 15 – 18 February 2010, the Biology & Synchrotron Radiation (BSR) and the Medical Applications of Synchrotron Radiation (MASR) conferences were held in Melbourne, Australia.
- 1 August 2010, the 7th Pacific Rim International Conference on Advanced Materials (PRICM-7) was held in Cairns, Australia.
- 23 November 2010, the 1st North African Crystallography Conference (NACC1), held in Casablanca, Morocco was a success; there is a growing interest in crystallography in this region.
- 6 February 2011, the Australian X-ray Analytical Association (AXAA) met, and 230 delegates were in attendance. ICDD participated with an exhibit booth and two workshops (XRD Basics Workshop: Identification Methods, and Trace Phase Identification: Data Mining with PDF-4+). Also, AXAA Student Prize winners will be subsidized by ICDD to attend the Denver X-ray Conference, 1 - 5 August 2011.
- Looking ahead in 2011:
- ICCOSS XX: International Conference on Chemistry on the Organic Solid State, will take place on 26 June 2011, Bangalore, India.
- ICMAT: International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies will take place on 27 June 2011, Singapore. Dr. Peterson and Dr. Soorya Kabekkodu will attend on ICDD’s behalf.
- PACRIM-9: The 9th International Meeting of the Pacific Rim Ceramic Societies will be held in Cairns, Australia on 10 July 2011.
Newly Independent States
Dr. Evgeny Antipov reported on events which occurred in the Newly Independent States this past year. The XI International Conference on Crystal Chemistry of Intermetallic Compounds was held 30 May – 2 June 2010, in Lviv, Ukraine. The conference was sponsored by ICDD, and drew about 200 participants from European countries, Russia, Ukraine and the United States. On 28 June – 2 July 2010, the 2nd School on Advanced Diffraction for Young Scientists was held in Chernogolovka, Russia. The conference drew 200 attendees and offered 26 lectures and poster sessions.
Dr. Antipov’s report also included upcoming events in 2011:
- The 6th Russian National Crystal Chemistry Conference will take place in Chernogolovka, Russia, from 31 May – 4 June 2011.
- XVII International Conference on Crystal Chemistry, X-ray Diffraction and Spectroscopic Studies of Minerals will be held 20 - 24 June 2011, in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- The largest scientific-technology meeting, the 4th Nanoforum, will take place in Russia in the fall of 2011.
United Kingdom & Ireland
Dr. David Rendle recounted events and meetings which took place throughout the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Another successful BCA Spring Meeting was held 13 – 15 April 2010, at Warwick University. ICDD had both a booth and workshop at this meeting. ICDD also sponsored two bursary awards: one to Brian Boyle from the University of Glasgow, and another to David Miller from the University of Edinburgh.
BCA held three IG Meetings at British Geological Survey, Keyworth in 2010. The first, XRF – “Blanket Cover” was held on 12 May 2010, followed by XRD – “Between the Sheets,” on 13 May 2010. On 3 – 4 November 2010, BCA held an IG Meeting at Diamond Light Source, which offered descriptions of various beamlines and a tour of the facilities. The BCA Spring Meeting for 2011 was held at Keele’s University on 11 – 14 April 2011.
Dr. Rendle also announced that the Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences and BCA IG will hold a joint meeting: “Materials by Design” at the University of Nottingham, 22 – 23 June 2011.
Also, Dr. Rendle noted David Taylor had received two honors in 2010. He was named an honorary BCA Member, and received the BCA Industrial Group Award. Congratulations to David Taylor!
Dr. José Miguel Delgado gave a full report on events, both past and upcoming, in South America.
A one-day workshop was offered within XIX IMRC, XIX International Materials Research Congress, which took place on 15 August 2010, in Cancún, México. The workshop included PDF-4+ demonstrations, with a presentation on characterization of nanomaterials. 15 - 19 November 2010, during the XII Latin American Seminar of Analysis by X-ray Techniques, a workshop on PDF-4+ was offered. Also, the workshop, Characterization of Pharmaceutical Products, was held 1 - 4 February 2011, at the Universidad de Los Andes, Mérida, Venezuela.
2011 activities in the region:
- The XX International Materials Research Congress 2011, 14 -19 August 2011, in Cancún, México
- Escuela de Cristalizacion y Cristalografia, which is being coordinated by Silvia Cuffini, will take place 13 – 25 November 2011, in Florianópolis, Brazil.
- Workshop on Forensic Analysis will take place in October 2011, in Mérida, Venezuela. Dr. Rendle has been asked to attend as an Invited Speaker, and Dr. Graciela Diaz de Delgado is working to coordinate the workshop.
UPCOMING ICDD EVENTS
6-10 June 2011
13-17 June 2011
Handheld XRF Workshop
11-13 October 2011
& Indexing 1 & 2
17-21 October 2011