The International Centre for Diffraction Data has an opening for a Senior Scientific Editor working with a dynamic team of database and scientific staff.
12 Campus Boulevard
Newtown Square, PA 19073
Chemist, Organic Chemist, Materials Scientist, Crystallographer
The Senior Scientific Editor is a critical member of a team of professionals that produces the world’s largest powder diffraction database. Responsibilities include a critical crystallographic and chemical review of X-ray, neutron, and electron diffraction patterns. The Powder Diffraction File contains more than one million X-ray diffraction patterns.
The International Centre for Diffraction Data (ICDD) is a non-profit scientific organization dedicated to collecting, editing, publishing, and distributing powder diffraction data for the identification of crystalline materials. The membership of the ICDD consists of worldwide representation from academe, government, and industry.
Join the ICDD team as a Senior Scientific Editor.
This role is well-suited for an ambitious professional looking for the next step in their career.
• In-depth review of the scientific data entering into the Powder Diffraction File
• Active involvement in scientific research work using the Powder Diffraction File.
• Scientific participation in workshops/conferences of ICDD’s interest.
• Work with scientists from across the world.
• Exceptional ability to understand and translate scientific content.
• Willingness to accept new scientific challenges in advancing database features.
• Capacity to edit and enhance published data, improving readability while ensuring accuracy.
• Ability to within deadlines, and to translate and simplify difficult science into accessible language for new product releases and articles.
• Ability to build relationships with senior- and junior-level scientists on the team.
• Work with a diverse group of individuals with a variety of backgrounds and languages.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Master’s, or Ph.D. in Chemistry, Physics, or Crystallography, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Good understanding of crystallography, powder Diffraction in particular.
• Broad background in analytical techniques with an emphasis on X-ray diffraction; Knowledge of using scientific databases is highly desirable. Familiarity with SQL is a plus, good organizational skills, and the ability to work well with others.
• Excellent communication & presentation skills.
• Laboratory experience is a plus.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the employee will perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the Executive Director, Database Manager or Editor-in-Chief as required. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
ICDD – International Centre for Diffraction Data is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.
• Flexible schedule
• 403(k) matching*
• Health insurance*
• Life insurance*
• Paid time off (vacation/sick/holidays)
*Eligibility dates are based on probation period/length of service.